BUTTERWORT (Mexican): Pinguicula Gigantea
- As the name implies, Pinguicula Gigantea grows to one of the largest and most impressive in the butterwort genus
- Pinguicula gigantea is also unique in that it produces sticky secretions on both the upper and under sides of its leaves. The leaves grow in large rosettes, and the flowers are typically purple. Insects become stuck to the surface of the leaves and flower stems, and are then digested.
- Due to their size this cultivar is highly sought after by collectors and plants commonly reach a size of over 15 cm
- Mexican butterworts are fantastic candidates for a sunny windowsill and very popular amongst succulent fans and indoor plant growers. As they are easy to grow, these are excellent plants for beginner carnivorous plant enthusiasts
- Whether you prefer starting off with a younger plant and watch it grow into full majestic glory over the years or jumping in with more munch, right from the get go, we've got you covered! Cultivo is all about choices and our plants are available in various sizes to suit your every want and need. These are well established, medium to near-flowering size plants. Butterworts have very shallow roots and fragile leaves and are currently available either bareroot or already potted in our deluxe carnivorous plant soil - Simply unwrap, water and enjoy!
- Winter dormancy:
- During the autumn and winter months, butterworts die back significantly to a tight rosette with tiny non-carnivorous leaves, making them appear much smaller than listed
- Larger growth (sizes as indicated) in the form of new summer leaves are expected during late spring
- Should you be unfamiliar with this plant species, head over to our FAQ section for more information on what to expect when ordering from us during the colder months >> Temperate plants and winter dormancy: What to expect
- Potted Plants
- You will receive a well established potted plant
- Plants in the pinguicula family generally have very shallow roots, hence your plant will be sent already potted
- We take great care in shipping procedures and butterworts are carefully packaged and protected to minimise damage
- Note that plant members in the pinguicula family are quite fragile and may lose some leaves during transit
- While packing your plants we always take the necessary precautions, however, due to the shallow root system, your plant might dislodge during shipping
- Should this be the case, simply repot your plant with the leaves at the soil level and lightly firm the soil around roots
- Grow butterworts in partial sun or very bright filtered light and keep the soil only damp to the touch, year round
- Great for beginners, mexican butterworts are easy to grow and fantastic candidates for a sunny windowsill or protected area outdoors with moderate to bright light
- To prevent rot, pinguicula prefers a loose, open soil with a good balance between water retention and drainage. We use our Butterwort PROmix for all our mexican butterworts, with excellent results
Recommended for you
Thoroughly impressed with the efficiency and speed at which I received my order. Very impressed and will order again!
Pinguicula Gigantea - Butterwort
Best quality plant i have seen. I enjoy my addition to my family.
What a perfect experience from placing the order to unwrapping my plants. I was kept informed about the postage without having to ask. The plants were well packaged and healthy. A personalised note and chocolate was an unexpected special touch. Perfect experience which I would definitely recommend in a heart beat.