FAQ: COVID 19: Will you be open for visits and collections during lockdown?
- Yes, as part of the Agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector we will be re-open for visits-by-appointment, with point of sale purchases, from Monday to Saturday from level 4 of the nationwide lockdown
Ok, but Cultivo is an online store. Why visits?
- Too often, we hear the words: I once had a flytrap ....and it died
- Most carnivorous plants are perennials, which means that they should (at the very least) bring you joy much longer than the current growing season. We would love to debunk the general myth that these remarkable plants are difficult to grow
- We believe that, with the correct guidelines, anyone and everyone can grow carnivorous plants - and soon you will too. There are more carnivorous plant species than you may know of, and (in most cases) very, many different varieties of each. Most species will thrive in a sunny spot, clean water and a friendly greeting each morning - no fancy greenhouses, expensive grow lights or home made jungles required
- We specialise in carnivorous plants and grow (and sell) a humongous selection of all-things-carnivorous. Should you be locked on choice or new to the carnivorous plant world, we would love to spend some time with you, show you around and tell you a bit more about them
- Being collectors, we grow a diverse range of carnivorous plant species ourselves and during summertime, we usually have a couple of examples of different plant species ready, so that we can guide you on growing them in our South African climate
Awesome! Which days?
- As most of the plants (venus flytraps, trumpet pitchers and temperate sundews) are dormant during wintertime, they display best during the active growing season ie. end-September to April. At this time many of our plants have entered winter dormancy but we also stock many varieties that will not need a dormancy period at all, therefor we will remain open, weather permitting
- We are open for visits during lockdown from Monday to Saturday
- Having full time careers (yes we are essential workers), we book appointments for visits to suit individual customer demand - therefor it is essential to book your appointment at least one day in advance
Great! What time?
- We are open for visits from 08h00 until 15h00, in hourly time slots so that we can show you around and answer all of your questions
Got it! How much does it cost?
- There is no charge for visits, we just ask to book an appointment so that we can provide you with individual attention in a dedicated time slot
Fabulous! How do I book an appointment for a visit?
- Visits are held only on individual customer demand and only by prior arrangement
- Therefor, appointments for these visits are to be booked at least one day in advance
- Contact us via Whatsapp 064 628 9497, so that we can check available time slots, book a suitable time for you and send you the directions
- We are based in Centurion (Pretoria)
Marvelous! What can I expect during my visit?
- Keep in mind that Cultivo is not a walk-in retail nursery but an (internet-based) mail-order company managed from our private residence, thus you will be visiting us at our home
- Besides plants, we also love animals and you will likely be greeted by our 2 (over-friendly) pawed kids. Kindly inform us prior to your visit if you are not comfortable with dogs, so that we can make alternative arrangements
- As previously mentioned, we grow an extensive range of carnivorous plant species ourselves and for visits, we usually have a few examples of various plant species ready, so that we can provide you with advice and guidelines on growing them in our South African climate
I'm Hooked! What if I want to purchase something during my visit?
- We usually set up a small 'retail section' for these visits with a range of hand-selected potted plants and planted gifts, from which you will be able to choose from for purchase during your visit
- The selection ranges from a couple of easy-to-grow carnivorous plant species we would recommended for beginners, to a handful of collector items aimed at the deadpan carni-collectors and master growers
- This retail section offers only a variety of potted live plants for the day and does not offer the full range of products listed on the online store
- The various categories on the website will give you a general idea with regards to the various plant species and varieties, as well as the sizes and their price-range, we have on offer (MENU > LIVE PLANTS)
- Some products and items from the online store, are prepared by a 3rd party and is not stored on our premises. These products include
- Should you be interested in any seeds, carnivorous plant soil or a specific plant, we suggest informing us via Whatsapp at least one day prior to your visit, so that we can source these items for you
- Kindly note that, for security reasons, we do not accept cash payments
- For purchases during your visit we
- can arrange for an EFT afterwards (with no additional fees), and we
- also have a card machine available at our premises
- (Note that the card option will add 7% to the total of your order to cover transaction costs and processing fees, charged by the bank)
Sorted! Do I need to bring anything else?
- By regulations during the COVID 19 pandemic it is essential that you wear a face mask every time you leave your home. We too, strictly adhere to hand sanitising and social distancing rules
- At the time of your appointment, we will keep a lookout for you, alternatively just give us a missed call when you arrive
- Most of our clients are respectable drivers that wear seat belts (it's the rest of the world that is not 😂) for two-wheeled turns and those unforeseen, sudden stops
- We do not regularly stock trays and boxes. Vehicle cup holders work well for single plants (mom-in-law as a passenger too) however, for larger orders please remember to bring a box or container so that we can securely pack your plants, ensuring a safe journey home
COLLECTIONS OF LOCKDOWN ORDERS during visits:
- Kindly place your order online and choose the collect from premises option at the checkout section. Orders are usually ready the next day and collections are facilitated in a simple handover at the gate adhering to social distancing rules. Should you intend to stay for a visit please inform us so that we can make the necessary arrangements and book a time slot for you. The address will be sent to you on confirmation of your order