LIVE SPHAGNUM MOSS: Mixed Species (Mostly Red)
Exclusively available online
- Live Sphagnum moss is now available in South Africa!
- On offer, is one sample portion live sphagnum moss to get you started on your own live sphagnum moss culture (Follow the guideline in the Growing Tips tab)
- 1 portion includes 10 live moss growth points (heads) - See sample size reference above
- Perfect as a top dressing for tropical pitcher plants, sun pitchers, cobra lilies, sundews, some orchids and other bog and wetland plants
- For aesthetic reasons live sphagnum moss is perfect as a colourful topdressing and are often used as growing medium for nepenthes, sun pitchers, cobra lilies, sundews, some orchids and other bog and wetland plants
- Sphagnum moss is generally slow growing and easily distinguished from other mosses by its habit of growth, its soft thick fullness (each head resembling a full and elaborate bloom of edelweiss), and is available in various colours - mostly variations of green, brown or red
- Moss is not dependent on soil water and as is laden throughout with water retaining cells, thus absorbs moisture from the atmosphere (high humidity)
- Live sphagnum moss has lots of anti-fungal properties and once you have a steady culture growing, add portions as a topdressing on tropical pitcher plants, heliamphora, darlingtonia or tall growing sundews
- Sphagnum moss can be planted in your bog area around your fish pond, added to a waterfall area to filter out the water or add it to your biological filter and watch it grow
- Live sphagnum moss thrives in humid environments and would also be and excellent companion in a terrarium or vivarium with carnivorous plants or amphibians
Please note that this image is intended for size reference only and depending on species, actual colours may differ
- Tips on growing your own live sphagnum moss culture:
- Sphagnum thrives in a cool humid environment with lots of diffused, bright light
- In our experience, red sphagnum moss in particular prefers warm, humid days with a nightly temperature drop of 10-15 degrees. New heads will start out dark red-green and the red colour will improve and intensify within a couple of months
- Give it high humidity. Live moss cultures work well on sunny windowsills in a covered plastic food container - add some ventilation holes to the lid or sides
- Use a container with drainage holes and add a layer of large-size perlite, leca clay or course washed gravel to the bottom for drainage
- Moisten and sterilise the growing substrate. We prefer using shredded long fiber sphagnum moss mixed with perlite for drainage as the substrate, but sphagnum peat moss will work too
- You'll receive a watertight container (see sample size) with 10 live moss growth points / head (also known as coma) - bury the moss slightly with the top of the growth point still visible
- Using sphagnum peat as a substrate may cause tannins to build up in the soil which will blacken the tips of the moss. Flood cultures with distilled water, once a week to remove tannins and other impurities
- Using distilled- or reverse osmosis water, top mist the moss every couple of days - extreme clean water is key
- In general, most sphagnum moss species are slow-growing. Be patient. Under optimal conditions, the moss will grow into longer strands over time. To multiply, snip the heads off the longer strands and replant them in the same container in a different spot. After a couple of months, these samples will in turn be tall enough to trim and the process is repeated
- Most live sphagnum moss species prefer cooler temperatures and might start to brown if too hot and wet, or present with dried (white) growing tips (heads) if too dry
- For fluffy moss, do not keep it in standing water
** Packed to order - pre-ordering online is essential **
Recommended for you
Bit early to comment fairly re the plants but did love how the mosses perked up soon after the container lid was opened. I was very impressed with the service and information received from Cultivo Carnivores as well as with the Courier service.
Good product superbly packaged.
Very pleased indeed.