PRE-sale > Nepenthes lowii (Gunung Trusmadi, Borneo) * 05 * 5-8cm
FRESH IMPORTS > July - August
All pre-sale orders have been confirmed and will be sent out during the first couple of days of arrival - Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special import from Wistuba - exotic plants
- Clone: 05
- Size: 5-8cm
- Growing conditions: Highland
- The legendary Nepenthes lowii! Certainly one of the most famous Nepenthes species. With absolutely unique, specialized upper pitchers, the species is not only visually captivating
- The shape of these high pitchers is also the basis for an absolutely fascinating mutualism. Between the bristles on the pitcher lid, N. lowii secretes a sugary substance. This serves as food for the tree squirrels Tupaia montana and leads to subsequent defecation of the animals. This feces serves as a nitrogen source for the Nepenthes lowii
- Lower pitchers of this species already show the bristles, but are not as extremely funnel-shaped as the uppers. The upper pitchers are highly variable and can bear diverse colors
- Nepenthes lowii is found on Mt. Kinabalu, Trusmadi, Murud and Mulu in Borneo at 1650-2600 m.a.s.l.
- N. lowii is a persistent grower under the right conditions, due to the slow growth it is recommended to start early with the species
- This form of Mt. Trusmadi is widely used in the hobby and corresponds to the typical picture of the species
Pssst... have you seen these?