FAQ: Visits, viewing and point of sale purchases
- The internet can be a strange place and we understand that not everyone is comfortable with making purchases via the world wide web. Even though our main focus is e-commerce, we also offer visits-by-appointment (with point of sale purchases) on selected Saturdays during the active growing season (October - April)
- Additionally, we often stock a beginner-friendly range live plants, carnivorous plant soil, seeds and planted gifts at the Strawberry pot nursery - located at 202 Hendrik Verwoerd Drive, Centurion for walk-in customers (see schedule below)
Ok, but Cultivo is an online store. Why Saturday visits?
- Too often, we hear the words: I once had a flytrap ....and it died
- Most carnivorous plants are perennials, which means that they should (at the very least) bring you joy much longer than only the current growing season. We would love to debunk the general myth that these remarkable plants are difficult to grow
- We believe that, with the correct guidelines, anyone and everyone can grow carnivorous plants - and soon you will too. There are more carnivorous plant species than you may know of, and (in most cases) very, many different varieties of each. Most species will thrive in a sunny spot, mineral-free water and a friendly greeting each morning - no fancy greenhouses, expensive grow lights or home made jungles required
- We specialise in carnivorous plants and grow (and sell) a humongous selection of all-things-carnivorous. Should you be locked on choice or new to the carnivorous plant world, we would love to spend some time with you, show you around and tell you a bit more about them
- Being collectors, we grow a diverse range of carnivorous plant species ourselves and during summertime, we usually have a couple examples of different plant species on display, so that we can guide you on growing them in our South African climate
Awesome! Which Saturdays?
- As most of the plants (venus flytraps, trumpet pitchers and temperate sundews) are dormant during wintertime, they display best during the active growing season
- Depending on the weather, summertime for Saturday visits usually means some time in October through April
- NEWS: Growing season is here and we have added more visitor days (dates below) during the summer months
- JANUARY 2021
- Friday 22 Jan: For walk-in customers - a selected range of live plants, soil, seeds and planted gifts will be available at the Strawberry pot nursery, 202 Hendrik Verwoerd Dr, Centurion. No appointment needed, just pop in between 8am and 5pm - team Cultivo will be available between 11am and 2pm for advice and to answer questions
- Saturday 23 Jan: For walk-in customers - a selected range of live plants, soil, seeds and planted gifts will be available at the Strawberry pot nursery, 202 Hendrik Verwoerd Dr, Centurion. No appointment needed, just pop in between 8am and 5pm - team Cultivo will be available between 11am and 2pm for advice and to answer questions
- Sunday 24 Jan: For walk-in customers - a selected range of live plants, soil, seeds and planted gifts will be available at the Strawberry pot nursery, 202 Hendrik Verwoerd Dr, Centurion. No appointment needed, just pop in between 9am and 3pm. Team Cultivo will be available between 1pm and 2pm for advice and to answer questions
- Friday 28 Jan: 4 visitor slots at our premises left
- Saturday 29 Jan: 5 visitor slots at our premises left
- Note that these dates only serve as a guideline and is subject to change. Having full time careers, we are not able to accommodate walk-in clients and decide on selected Saturdays for visits only to suit individual customer demand - therefor it is essential to book your appointment during weekdays
- The online store is of course open 24/7, year round and we offer a range of payment- and shipping options if you are not collecting from us
Great! When Saturdays?
- We are open for visits on these selected Saturdays, from October to April, between 08h00 and 15h00, in hourly time slots
- Join the holiday spirit with festive holiday hours: 08h00 until 18h00 (Extended hours applies to all Saturdays during December 2021)
An hour? Say what?!
- An hour may seem a lot at first, however, time flies when you're having fun - which we absolutely believe you will have
- The carnivorous plants world is MASSIVE and we'd recommend diving in right away and do some research with regards to the different carnivorous plant species and how they work - let us know when booking your appointment and we'll send you some cool weblinks in this regard.
- This will not only give you something to do for the remainder of the week, but will most likely raise some questions which we will be able to answer for you during your visit. Having the basics down will allow us to fill in the finer details and spend your valuable time, optimally, during your allocated time slot
Got it! How much does it cost?
- There is no charge for visits, we just ask to book an appointment so that we can provide you with individual attention in a dedicated time slot
Fabulous! How do I book an appointment for a Saturday visit?
- Saturday visits are held only on individual customer demand and only by prior arrangement
- Appointments for these visits are to be booked at least one day in advance (Monday to Friday)
- Time slots usually fill up fast early in the week so we highly recommend confirming bookings as early as possible to avoid disappointment. We are based in Wierdapark (Centurion) just off Theuns van Niekerk street
- Contact us via the contact form below or Whatsapp 064 628 9497, so that we can check available time slots, book a convenient time slot for you and send you the directions
Marvelous! What can I expect during my visit?
- Keep in mind that Cultivo is not a walk-in retail nursery but an (internet-based) mail-order company managed from our private residence, thus you will be visiting us at our home
- Besides plants, we also love animals and you will likely be greeted by our 2 (over-friendly) pawed kids. Kindly inform us prior to your visit if you are not comfortable with dogs, so that we can make alternative arrangements
- We are specialists in the field and being personal collectors (carnivorous plant addicts), we do grow many different carnivorous plant species and varieties ourselves. For visitor days, we usually set up a whole range of carnivorous plants from the collection for display- and teaching purposes
- Diving into the carnivorous plant world head first, you may at this time have (even more) questions. Not to worry...we've got you! During your visit we will not only man the retail section but will be available for advice and provide you with the correct guidelines on growing these awesome plants in our South African climate
I'm Hooked! What if I want to purchase something during my visit?
- We usually set up a small 'retail section' for these Saturday visits with a range of hand-selected potted plants and planted gifts, from which you will be able to choose from for purchase during your visit
- The selection for the day ranges from a couple of easy-to-grow carnivorous plant species we would recommended for beginners, to a handful collector items aimed at the deadpan carni-collectors and master growers
- This retail section offers only a variety of potted plants for the day and does not offer the full catalogue listed on the online store
- The retail section
- Carnivorous plants are super slow growers in comparison to garden variety plants. Prices start from as little as R99 for small to medium (3 year old) plants and prices are ultimately determined by the plant species and size (age) thereof
- Our main focus is providing you with exceptional quality plants in a variety you are not likely to find anywhere else. Think of us as a carnivorous plant boutique. The various categories on the website will give you a general idea with regards to the various plant species and varieties, as well as the sizes and their price-range, of those we have an offer (GO to MENU on the top left of this screen > LIVE PLANTS)
- Some products and items from the online store are prepared by a 3rd party and is exclusively available via our webstore. These products include
- Should you be interested in any seeds, carnivorous plant soil or a specific plant, we suggest letting us know by latest Friday or confirm your order online (Monday to Friday), and select 'Customer collect' in the shipping options at checkout, so that we can get everything ready for you
- Due to lack of change and ultimately for safety and security reasons, we do not regularly accept cash payments
- For purchases during your visit we
- can arrange for a direct EFT afterwards, and we
- also have a card machine available at our premises
Sorted! Do I need to bring anything else?
- At the time of your appointment, we will keep a lookout for you, alternatively just give us a missed call or hoot at the gate when you arrive
- Most of our clients are respectable drivers that wear seat belts (it's the rest of the world that is not 😂) for two-wheeled turns and those unforeseen, sudden stops
- Cup holders work well, mom-in-law as a passenger too.. If you did not bring a box or container we will try and find practical ways to securely pack your plants, ensuring a safe journey home
COLLECTIONS OF ONLINE ORDERS during Saturday visits:
- Kindly place your order online, and make arrangements for collection (details in the 'Shipping and Collections' e-mail) from Monday to Friday, during our usual business hours.
- As per the 'customer collect' option you have selected, we will assume you will only be collecting your order
- We may not be around at the time you collect - should you wish to stay for a chat, need advice or have any carni-related questions, kindly let us know when booking your collection so that we can book a dedicated time slot for you on one of our visitor days