TRUMPET PITCHER: Sarracenia Scarlet Belle
The Belle of the Ball
- Species: Sarracenia
- The beautiful "Scarlet Belle", supplied by Hungry Plants is a very unique addition to any carnivorous plant collection
- This colourful psittacina hybrid is a vigorous, semi-erect grower with rounded, semi-closed hoods
- American trumpet pitcher plants are easy to grow if their basic needs (sun and water) are met - Generally, plants in the sarracenia family prefer a sunny position outdoors for strong growth and are excellent candidates for beginner carnivorous plant enthusiasts
- These are 3 year old (Pitchers 5-10cm) to flowering size plants, already potted in our deluxe carnivorous plant soil, ready for action during the upcoming growing season
- Carefully select the 'Ordering option' - how you will receive you plant
- Note that the shipping options are set up according to the volumetric weight of the parcel ie. if you choose the 'collect from us' ordering option, we assume you will be collecting your plants from our premises and there will be no Postnet or Courier shipping option available at the checkout section
- Generally, plants in the trumpet pitcher plant family will thrive outdoors. Grow your plant in a sunny spot, year round, for strong growth and ultimate colouration. Protect your plant during hail and heavy rainstorms as strong winds may knock plants over and damage pitchers
- In Gauteng, we recommend growing trumpet pitchers in full sun (or at the very least) 6 hours morning sun. Note that during summertime soil may become very hot and plants may overheat during heatwaves. During these spells, protect your plant from the harsh afternoon sun
- Trumpet pitcher plants are native to wetland areas, for this reason soil are to be kept moist all the time. Top-watering is fine too, but avoid filling the pitchers with water as the weight may cause pitchers to break from the main stem
- Low-mineral water is highly recommended and we use distilled- or reverse osmosis water, when rainwater is scarce
- Fluctuate the water level to air the roots by letting the tray dry in between waterings, but never let the plant itself dry out completely
- Carnivorous plants are self-sufficient hunters and have adapted to catch and digest their own food. Trumpet pitchers are plants, therefor their growing energy is derived from the sun via photosynthesis (Your plant will not die due to starvation)
- During the growing season they will lure, catch and digest their own insects which acts as a type of fertiliser. Never feed your pitcher plant hamburger meat, viennas, biltong, braaivleis, milk or vegetables (Let me know if I left something out 😂 )
- Do not fertilise your plant and only use sphagnum-peat based plant soil, which is low in minerals. Compost, coco peat, palm peat and regular garden variety potting soil contain salts and minerals that will kill your plant
- We recommend repotting trumpet pitchers yearly, into fresh carnivorous plant soil, at the end of winter dormancy
- Trumpet pitcher plants are sun-loving temperate plants which means they grow actively during summertime, and die back significantly during the winter months when the daylight period is shorter
- If you are new to carnivorous plants, see our FAQ section on what to expect from your plant during dormancy
- Please note that in order to display individual characteristics, images mostly represent mature plants in full summer growth cultivated in optimal conditions
- During winter dormancy pitchers usually die off partially (halfway) or in some cases entirely. Plants will appear smaller and present with dry (dying) pitchers during and a couple of weeks after the dormancy period in the colder months of the year (Usually May to October)
- New growth will sprout during springtime, once your plant has settled into its new environment
QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE:
- This is a lot to digest, but following this guide we trust that your plant will thrive in your care. Below is a quick reference guide on growing a happy and healthy trumpet pitcher plant
Recommended for you
Very happy with the live plant I purchased.
I am even more impressed by Cultivo professional service and the amount of information provided to keep the plants alive and happy.
My plant is thriving and absolutely gorgeous. I love looking at it. The advice and help I received was amazing and made such a difference.
TRUMPET PITCHER: Sarracenia Scarlet Belle
An absolutely stunning plant, and as always, arrived in top form too.
Sarracenia Psittacina Hybrid "Scarlet Belle'